England Athletics Senior Championships, Bedford July 17th to 18th
In the 400m Hurdles Chris McAlister followed up his recent 49.16 secs PB and leading GB time this year with another sub 50 secs clocking in winning the England Championships in 49.75 secs. In the women’s final Nicole Kendall further improved her club record to 56.11 secs finishing second ahead of Jessica Tappin (56.97 secs) in third. Angelita Broadbelt-Blake finished 4th in the 100m Hurdles in 13.67 secs.
Jason Hoyle (47.72 secs) and Luke Lennon-Ford (47.92 secs) finished 3rd and 4th in the 400m.
Lia Stephenson jumped a season’s best 13.00m to win the triple jump, with Montana Jackson in 2nd place with 12.49m. Sam Trigg-Petrovic finished 4th in the men’s triple jump equalling his season’s best of 15.47m and Ogo Anochirionye had a (non-wind assisted) season’s best of 7.15m in the long jump.
In the throws Pippa Wingate was 3rd in the hammer with 62.23m and Emma Dakin was 3rd in the shot put with a new PB of 13.67m. In the javelin Gavin Johnson-Assoon finished 3rd and Laurensa Brittane threw a season’s best 40.98m.
Youth Development League (YDL)
The YDL started with a reduced timetable for the first round of fixtures, with the full timetable from the 2nd fixtures. In the U17 / U20 competition great performances so far this season include;
- U17 Men 4 x100m (Zack Clarke-Green, Joel Houslin. Karis Matty-Esnard and Reece Earle 43.87 secs) and 4 x 400m (Zack Clarke-Green, Joel Houslin, Sol Inglis and Max Bishop 3:31.3 secs) club records
- Reece Earle – a windy 10.75 secs 100m
- Neon Richards – 56.16 secs 400m Hurdles
- Ruth-Ann Otaruoh – 11.95m triple jump and 5.36m long jump
In the U13 / U15 competition great performances so far this season include;
- Clara Brooke – 1.45m high jump wins at the first and second meetings and 4.46m long jump at the second
- Middle distance 800m / 300m doubles by Maya Sutaria at the first meeting (2:24.18 / 43.93 winning both races), Skye Bishop at the second meeting (2:26.0 1st / 44.9 2nd ) and Natasha Bennett winning B string races at both meetings (2:25.11 & 2:28.8 secs / 45.9 )
- Jake Curtis – 12.2 secs 100m
- Shenal Kuranage – 4.99m long jump
Southern Counties Veterans League
TVH Athletes in the Masters age groups (35+) competed in three fixtures in June and July in the Southern Counties Veterans League led by team manager Tom Joo. TVH coach and former decathlete Adrian Hemery performed well in sprints, middle distance and the high jump, setting a season’s best so far of 2:10.2 at the first fixture on 7th June as did TVH Chairman Robert Datnow with a time of 2:10.6. Tom competed in the sprints and middle distance and ex-team manager Greg Bennett returned to throws competitions for the first time since an injury in 2019. Nicholas Atwell won the 100m and 400m at the second fixture and the M35 200m A race at the final fixture with Alex Guest winning the B race.
Sage Pearce-Higgins ran 9:15.9 for 3000m at the first fixture and also finished 4th in the 5000m in a time of 16:34.63 at the Veterans AC 5000m Championships at Wimbledon on 21st July. James Sumpter who is competing for the first time in 10 years ran 9:34.1 for 3000m and 4:39.0 in the 1500m.
Javelin coach Sam Brewer won the women’s javelin and shot put at the final fixture.